|SOTA summits nearby moving APRS stations sending the symbol around 2024-02-23 10:07 UTC
SOTA2APRS is an experimental service that posts the SOTA activations (spots and alerts) and some summit locations to APRS-IS. Web based clients showing the positions on maps include aprs-map.info, APRS.fi or agwtracker.
- every activator "spotted" on SOTAwatch to APRS-IS with his current frequency as (or on some clients).
Activators who would prefer NOT to be listed on APRS when their activations are spotted on SOTAwatch are welcome to let me know -> mailto:info [snail] on6zq [period] be, and I'll make sure their callsign is added to the black-list.
ON6ZQ 007.032MHz SOTA activation ON/ON-001
- SOTA spots that contain the words "test" or "ignore" in their comment are not reported to APRS-IS.
- every announced activation ("alert") with the date and time of planned activation as (or on some clients)
ON/ON-001 SOTA activ. planned on YYYYMMDD HHMMz
- In addition to spots and alerts, SOTA2APRS also monitors in real time the stations that use the symbol (/[), and determines if they are in the vicinity of a SOTA summit and moving.
ON/ON-001 Summits On The Air - www.sota.org.uk
This means that
- any moving stations that use the symbol will be shown with the SOTA summits nearby.
- in particular, activators carrying an APRS tracker (or an APRS enabled transceiver, or a mobile phone running an application like APRSdroid) will be shown on the map with the location of the summit they are going to as .
|APRSdirect "SOTA view"
SOTA2APRS is purely experimental, and is meant
- to make the SOTA related activities known to a larger public
- while helping
- chasers to follow the activators progression
- activators to be chased and assisted if necessary
It may be adapted or stopped without notice depending on the feed-back I receive.
Note: SOTA2APRS must not be confused with the gateway service APRS2SOTA provided by Stewart G0LGS, allowing users of the APRS network to post spots on the SOTAwatch system.
Here is a diagram describing the flows between SOTawatch, APRS2SOTA, SOTA2APRS and RBNhole.
The SARTrack client is a very advanced Amateur Radio APRS program, perfect to follow the SOTA activators progression.